Bartonella: A Microscopic Monster

For the past several weeks, a migraine has plagued me. After sending my doctor two emails describing the course of my migraine, I caved in and went for an appointment. After asking me several specific questions, he told me what was on his mind. Though he is encouraged by my increase in energy, I still have too many issues that are not improving. After much research, he believes the real issue for me is a Bartonella (a very mean bacterial) infection. Usually, the body can fight off such an infection, but the Lyme bacteria has lowered my immune system, causing the Bartonella to become chronic.

Many of the symptoms I currently have which spell Bartonella infection are:
1) strange, particular muscle spasms (including but not limited to abdominal contractions similar to labor)
2) atypical migraines (tension headache married to a migraine headache)
3) constant, acute sole (feet) soreness
4) neurological pricking, tingling fire in, on, and under my skin - covering entire body
5) unexplained abdominal pains
6) spastic adrenal issues which effect energy levels and include severe hot/cold spells (always either hot when others are comfortable or cold when others are comfortable...it's a very unnatural hot or cold feeling)
7) unexplained sudden onset of depression that leaves just as fast
8) cognitive issues/brain fog
9) unexplained swollen glands and enlarged lymph nodes accompanied by a chronic sore throat
10) gastrointestinal issues
11) low appetite/weight loss or inability to gain weight (My hydrocordisone obviously took care of this issue.)
12) chronic fatigue
13) tender nodules along extremeties, just under the skin
14) unexplained fevers
15) overall discomfort/soreness
16) brain inflamation/sensation of fever inside my head
17) night sweats

There is also a strange rash that often accompanies Bartonella infection, but I haven't been afflicted with that as of yet. Many patients have an enlarged spleen. I know my doctor keeps a watch on mine, but I don't know if it has ever been enlarged or not.

Trench fever is also caused by this bacteria, as well as, Lymphadenitis. As far as I know, I don't have either of these, though I have some of the sypmtoms such as sore shins, headaches, chronic oral pain, and swollen/sore lymph nodes.

My doctor is still researching. Though he is now familiar with the symptoms and is certain we need to treat this infection head on, he wants to know how to treat it with an appropriate antibiotic protocal. Until then, we will continue with the Lyme treatment. Please pray he finds answers soon as we believe that Bartonella is the real issue hindering my recovery.

Thanks for your interest, concern, prayers, and support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try feverfew leaf for your migraine. It always helps me where migraine medicine does not. It's completely safe and will not interact with drugs. You can find it in the vitamin/herb aisle of many stores or else a health food store. I get mine through Vitacost, which is always way cheaper.

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&x=0&y=0&Ntt=feverfew

Some basic info:
"The herb’s reputation for curing migraines was so great that several noted studies were conducted on it and its actions. However, whereas it has been clinically proven to reduce the incidence of migraines, how it works still evades the scientists. Who cares? If it works, it works.

Some scientific insight has been gained from these studies, with an emphasis on the some. The leaves contain a wild cocktail of active ingredients including volatile oil, sesquiterpene lactones, and acetylene derivatives. The ability of feverfew to cure migraines is thought to be due to these sesquiterpene lactones which slow the release of prostaglandins and histamines. These two substances are factors in the inflammatory process and in the subsequent pain a person feels while down with a migraine. When they are released by the body, the blood vessels in the head go into spasms, and you end up in your room with the phone, the lights, and your life turned off. The current notion is that eating the feverfew leaf limits the release of these chemicals so that migraines don’t occur."

Linnette Rochelle said...

Thanks. I'll look into that!

"Blessing" by Laura Story